RYBURGH WILDLIFE GROUP MINUTES
Date: 7th February 2022
Committee Members Present: Ian Wilson (IW), Barley Wilson (BW), Steve Cale (SC), Mike Rundle (MR), Nick Parsons (NP), Nina Basset (NB)
Apologies: Neil Dandy (ND)
CALL TO ORDER
Mike Rundle (MR) called the meeting to order.
1) Consent Agenda:
No items were removed from the agenda. Agenda items discussed:
2) Financial Report presented by MR.
£2,867,00 in the account as at 7th February 2022. Kathryn Woodley (KW) has done a brilliant job in ensuring all members have paid their subs with exception of a handful of members who have decided to leave the group for varied reasons. The committee would like to formally thank Kathryn for her hard work and diligence over a number of years in her role of Membership Secretary, as Kathryn has decided to step down and retire from her position. David Cooling is stepping into KW’s role. All were agreed as to his appointment and the committee would thus like to formally welcome David and thank him for taking over the role of Membership Secretary.
KW will now be asked to handover her duties to David Cooling (DC) who takes over with immediate effect.
nb: In future the AGM will be better planned to coincide with year end accounting periods and will thus take place in July moving forward.
3) Reserve Report presented by SC.
X2 work parties have been undertaken. Damage from an enthusiastic rat to the newly hung door has been repaired and further precautions taken to stop the rat causing further damage. Other various tasks have been completed.
In recent weeks various birds have been spotted, including, a White Tailed Eagle, Great White Egret, Goosander, Pink Footed Geese and White Fronted Geese, as well as Barnacle Geese.
Future work in the scrape is planned, later in the year, to include a small amount of digging out and continued decrease of vegetation at the front/right hand side of the hide. Funds are in place for any works required with thought given especially to modifications that can increase viewings from the hide.
MR reminded all that written acknowledgement from Tommy Cook, or Charlie and Fergus would be helpful as to the ongoing use of the Sennowe land for the hide and surrounding area. SC confirmed he would try to have a chat with TC and ask for such permission to be formalized.
SC confirmed that he has not as yet made contact with Norman Sills to visit and advise on best use/design of the land we are allowed to use, but he will do so. SC will chase again for dates and update at next meeting.
4) Ryburgh Nectar Corridor
There was discussion about the cutting timetable of the old Railway Line and how often is needed for the best benefit to the wildlife and plants in this area. Ideally it would be good if the verges can be left and only a path through be cut. BW discussed various proposals for the Nectar Highway – (these are available on request for anyone wishing to read more).BW keen to have villagers involved in the nectar scheme in their own gardens and plans to have a tie in with the monthly Community Coffee events. A sub committee is to be created, with representation from the Village Show group, Stitch group, Stibbard School and Norfolk Wildlife Trust. BW to invite a sub committee to be set up and run this project. It is hoped the project can be launched at the up coming Spring Village Show on 30th April. BW requested a new page on the website be created signposting the areas of wildflower planting. MR agreed a good idea and invited BW to liaise directly with Tim who looks after the group’s website pages. SC and IW to promote the project through their own press contacts
5) Recent Events
The Holkham walk was well attended and much enjoyed. Thank you to Nick Parsons (NP) for leading this. An historical walk around the village, led by Matt Champion, is planned for Saturday 12th February. This is being offered free of charge as a thank you for remaining members during Covid times when little was able to be organized.
6) Event Programme
Future events will include:
- Quiz evening- date and venue to be confirmed. IW to organize.
- Sennowe Walk, by kind invitation from TC is hoped to be organized for early April. SC to liaise with TC and confirm. There will be a charge of £5.00 per head and numbers limited to x20 people
- Dawn Chorus walk around the village, followed by breakfast, is planned for early May. MR and IW to organize. There will be a charge of £7.50 per head and numbers limited to x20 people
7) Work Parties
Spring litter pick. This will take place on Saturday 26th March from 10.30-12 noon. Meeting point outside the village hall. Bags and litter picks will be provided.
MR presented ND’s Health and Safety notes. All of ND’s points are respected by the group with a suggestion that for each future events a contact number is circulated ahead of the event as a point of contact for one of the committee members taking part /or leader in case of an emergency. NB to action for each event and circulate. Safety goggles (a number of pairs) will be purchased for when works are undertaken at the scrape for helpers to borrow should they wish to. SC to action purchase. Community Woodland boxes have been made and provided by IW. SC requested a couple more to be fixed in the reserve if some are available. IW to action. Any volunteers to help put the boxes up would be appreciated. Please contact IW directly. SC will communicate details of the next work party in the scrape once arranged
Next meeting: Date to be arranged
Prepared by: Nina Basset 10th February 2022