RYBURGH WILDLIFE GROUP
MINUTES OF MEETING OF THE GENERAL COMMITTEE
Present (by Zoom)
Ian Wilson (Chair), Barley Wilson, Nick Parsons, Neil Dandy, Mike Rundle.
Apologies from Nina Basset
- Treasurers Report – £2555.26 in the group’s Barclays account as at today. This figure includes all members subscriptions for 2021/2022 who pay by standing order on 1st October. Mike to speak to Kathryn (membership secretary) to ascertain what subs are outstanding. Neil points out he has not opted to pay by standing order and has not been chased for his sub.
- Events– there was discussion about where and when Nick might lead an outing to view winter residents and visitors and decided that Titchwell RSPB would be the best choice. One morning during the weekends of 8/9th January or 15/16th were agreed as suitable. Nick will review his diary and let Mike know which date he would prefer.
- Quiz Night is to be on Thursday 17th January. It is intended that the AGM be held at the same event. Ian volunteers to be quiz master. The venue can be announced closer to the date to take account of the Covid situation. Ian will make enquiry with the Boar as to whether they will accommodate the event and, if not then a booking can be made for the village hall. Ian will also ask Keith and Helen if they are prepared to set the questions this year.
- Guided Walk with Matt Champion to illustrate and explain the history of Great Ryburgh- Ian will Contact Matt to agree the date.
- Work Parties – the Scrape on 12th And 18th December – Mike to arrange supply of paint with Steve. Mike to ask Steve if the sightings book has or can be restored to the hide for completion by persons using the hide.
- Crossroads field – more than half of the mown grass has been raked up and put into piles on the margins but there is still more to do. Ian, Barley, Neil and Mike indicated they would be willing to lend a hand the next fine morning. Ian has wooden rakes and will contact volunteers if and when an opportunity arises. Barley says that Stibbard PC have asked that the brambles infringing upon the two car parking spaces adjoining the field be cut back. This could also be tackled by the workparty.
- Great Ryburgh Common – Ian reported that the gorse has recovered the spraying it received a few years ago and is now widespread. There is also a fallen tree across the path leading to the Common. Mike will raise these with John Savory and ask him to cut the gorse and remove the tree. The gorse should be cut before the end of February to avoid disturbing nesting birds.
- Nestboxes – Ian suggested a couple more are needed for the railway line and an owl box (or two) for the Common. It was agreed that the Group funds could buy the boxes or (and Ian has a supply of oak that would be suitable) they could be made. Neil volunteered to assist. Barley suggested that nest box kits could be offered to the membership if there is sufficient oak. Mike asked to tell John of the plan for owl boxes in the Common.
- Communication- Mike volunteered to draft a newsletter to be sent to the membership with details of the proposed events and any news items. It was agreed the minutes of meetings should be posted on the RWG website. Mike (because he is preparing the minutes on this occasion) to action with Tim Colman (webmaster).
- NWT Partnership – the meeting reviewed the Nectar Corridor project and what help RWG might obtain from NWT to progress it. Barley will put together a programme of suggested next steps for the corridor and discuss it with NWT. Nick suggested seeking support from garden owners adjoining the corridor to take part and grow wildflowers. Barley thought the project could be launched at a Spring Garden Show that is already under consideration in the village. Mike and Barley will meet Gill, who is involved in the Spring Garden Show project, on Saturday nest at the Village Hall cafe at 10am.